Friday, February 12, 2010

How do i stop my Labrador from eating its droppings?

The reason that she is doing this is because a lot of animals don't digest completely all the minerals and nutrients the first time around, it's very common. In essence it's the same principle as what a cow does, except that instead of chewing their cud they eat their feces. I would try vitamins first before you get anything that might detract her from eating her feces because she might be deficient, if the vitamins don't work and she continues this behavior then I would consult a vet, it might be something more serious or it might be that you need to put in a product that will make them unappealing.


Good Luck :)How do i stop my Labrador from eating its droppings?
you eat before he eatHow do i stop my Labrador from eating its droppings?
I would ask your Vet...... I used to work for a Vet and I saw this behavior with dogs that were very bored....


stir crazy board.


I would make sure that your dog is walked every day.





And ask you vet!
Add a small amount of crushed pineapple to your dog's food. That usually works!
Animals will eat their own feces for a lot of reasons, but the most common is a dietary imbalance. Try putting her on vitamins, and take a look at the food you're feeding. A Lab is made to be an active dog, and if she's very active and fit, you may want to put her on a high-protein food, if you aren't already feeding one. As someone else noted, there are supplements you can get to make the feces less appetizing, and you may want to try that, but I'd try adjusting her diet first. Also, if she is not very active, you might try boosting her activity level. Get her out for daily walks or go to a dog park or anywhere she can really stretch out and burn some energy.
Change its food! Dogs only do this if they are missing important nutrients. All of the brand name dog foods have cornmeal in the first 5 ingredients. Cornmeal has absolutely no nutritional value to a dog it's just cheap filler. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get your dog good food. Costco/Kirkland brand chicken and rice dog food has no cornmeal, additives or preservatives, and it's only $18 for a 40 pound bag.
I had this problem with a german shepard once. I put her on vitamins and she stopped.
They make a product that you feed your dog and it makes its droppings unappetizing
pick up after your dog.
Try Forbid, it works. Google it.
1 on your my yahoo page type in your search box petco.com


2 on your search results click on petco it should be the 1st 1 under the blue shaded box or otherwise called sponsors results.


3 in the petco search box type in stop eating feces


4 click on the second page of your petco search results, it should be on this page. it is called fooey training aid
I used a product called Deter with my dog when I was having this problem and it totally fixed the problem. You can buy it online or at any pet store.





There's a good discussion of this topic here:





http://thehousebreakingbible.com/trainin鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment