Friday, February 12, 2010

Could bird (for example, parakeet) droppings be considered a hazard to human health?

Hi. I have two budgies, and I love them to death. I know they're indoor birds, so at first I wanted to keep them indoors in our living room. However, my parents are worried that the droppings could lead to illnesses, so as a result, we keep them outdoors on nice days, and leave them in the basement at nights. They still get a lot of attention, but I still prefer to keep them indoors at all times. Could someone please clear up this subject matter for me, and whether my parents' theory about illnesses transmitted through the feces is true or not? Any response will be greatly appreciated. ThanksCould bird (for example, parakeet) droppings be considered a hazard to human health?
Take them to the vet and get a blood work up. If they come back salmonella negative, you're good to go. This check can usually be done for fairly cheap.





Usually, budgies are extremely clean and disease free, but a vet check is good for relieving stress...





Hope it works out.





To Plumber whatever... You CANNOT get HIV or AIDS from birds, and certainly not from bird feces. If you're going to cut and paste from a site, then you need to learn to understand the big words on that site before spouting off.Could bird (for example, parakeet) droppings be considered a hazard to human health?
I dunno but as far as I know ( still a kid ) bird droppings are useful in plants. I advise you to keep your pets in a cage. Underneath is a litter box but don't forget to empty that litter box everyday!
For starters get them out of the basement budgies are social animals too,as for the poop,me n my kids have never been sick becauese I cleaned up the poop as soon as I saw it,myself,I don't think any poop is disease free but great hygene habits are a good thing as long as you clean up after them.
I have had birds all my life since I was a little young lad I have never had any adverse affects from bird droppings. I use them for fertalizer in my Marijuanan plants!
Ok now for some intelligence... If you got your birds from the wilderness, yes you could possibly get ill from their droppings. We are talking about parakeets people!.. The seed they eat is totally organic which is as healthy as it gets. I have raised these birds my entire life and that's a long time... I nor anyone I know has ever gotten sick from my birds droppings. Just clean out your cage two to three times a week. Don't let them play with the pidgeons in the park. Wild birds carry all kinds of diseases. Domestic animals that are taken good care of and kept inside, will not unless wild birds come into contact with them, if that happens, take your birds to an avian vet. They are not expensive.


As far as your parents go, they need to get a better education and read up on things instead of panicking for no reason. By the way just fyi... the bird flu is a load of dung too there is no such thing in the USA.
No. all they eat is seeds so there waste is completely organic and doesn't do anything
Yes in pigeons their dropping's when breathed in can cause psittacosis
If feces are not handled properly, then yes, illnesses can be transmitted. Psittacine pneumonia is one of the diseases and it can lead to HIV which leads to AIDS. Always handle feces with the utmost care - wear rubber (disposable) gloves and a face mask to protect your lungs. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and hot water immediately, especially after cleaning your pets' cage. Also see source article listed below.

No comments:

Post a Comment